Sunday, July 8, 2012

How I Got Started Writing

This is me. (Hi.)


I'm going to tell you all the story of how I started writing.


I've always read (and read and read) books, but I came to writing rather late in life. I was in grad school writing my thesis (for a science) and inhaling romances. The thesis was getting to me, and I just wanted a story (ok, so more like a bucket-load of stories) with a nice, happy ending.

Now, some romances are extremely moving, well plotted, and well written books. Some are not. I'd just finished a series of not. In fact, I'd just finished a series of tear-out-your-hair, these-books-are-so-offensive-to-women romances. I decided I could do better.

And that was how I started writing.

I wrote two romances before I gravitated back toward my first love in books: YA fantasy.
Some romance authors can create original, moving, interesting books within the confines of boy meets girl, boy and girl have problems, boy and girl live happily ever after. I cannot.
Plus, I love inventing my own worlds. I can daydream about what I want in my world for days on end.

No comments:

Post a Comment