Wednesday, August 22, 2012

A Vacation From My Brain


Oh, man, how did I get to be this cool? ;)

Initial Problems

Do you ever just want a vacation from yourself?

I'm posting this Wednesday (to be a good, reliable blogger), but I'm writing this post on Sunday, and I have just spent somewhere between two and three hours choosing a background for my blog. That's after I spent hours yesterday looking through downloadable blogger templates.

Let me tell you, I am driving myself insane:

"Wow, I love that pattern. Oh, but it's kind of distracting from the text."

"Oh! That's pretty, let me try that one out. . . Meh."

"Oooooo, that's so pretty. Hmm, but it's a little hard to read."

Secondary Problems

So finally, I settled on this pattern you see before you now (I thought it was cool but didn't distract from the writing), but my analysis wasn't done yet! Here is a sample:

"I don't know. It's sort of curliquey. Maybe that's too girly. Would a guy be ashamed to read a blog that was too girly? What if someone sees him and he feels like he ought to close out of the blog really quick because it's too girly?"

And then I debated header color! I love the red, but I'm still a little worried it's too goth with the black and red, and I am not goth at all, so it might send the wrong impression . . . . yep, I need a vacation from myself.

The Real Problem

And the worst part is that all this silliness has kept me from writing much today. Of course, I'm feeling a bit paralyzed by indecision there too b/c I cut my original first sentence, and I'm just not sure that's the right thing to do, and I don't want to mess up any submissions with the wrong first sentence.

As you can see, it's just one of those days, and I simply need to get out of my own head. Maybe I'll go for a walk and listen to loud music. Or call my sister.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what they do to get their brains to shut up?

No comments:

Post a Comment