Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Why Couldn't I Be Born British?

Hello!

Today I am reading The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaimon, and it's beautifully written, and he has managed to come up with all sorts of the most interesting things - things that kids (and adults if they still have any sense of imagination) will absolutely love reading about, even if before they read the book they had no idea they'd take an interest in any such thing.

Which reminds me of Roald Dahl, who had the absolute, most fascinating of ideas. I mean The Witches? How does someone come up with stuff like that?

And I'm also reading the very entertaining Terry Pratchett right now, so I have come to the obvious conclusion that one must be British to be a truly great writer.

Oh, man, and I just thought of J.K. Rowling.

How very sad for me. I mean, by this point there's no way around it, I will never truly be British. I even married a fellow American. I mean, I suppose I could try moving over there and see if it takes at least a little and maybe I could pop out a few British children and hope for the best for them, but obviously my own non-starter of a career as a writer is doomed. Doomed, I tell you!

No comments:

Post a Comment