Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Fear and Writing


Would you believe I'm actually scared of starting my new book?

I have the idea all plotted out, and, actually, before I set it aside to do some serious editing of the project I'm querying now, I got started on this project. So I have a few thousand words and a flushed out idea, and I love the whole thing. And that's why I'm scared. Right now, my idea has all sorts of potential to become an absolutely amazing book. Heck, right now, my book could be the Next Big Thing.

But when I finally get started (or, here, re-started), my project starts to lose the potential of what it could be and turn into what it actually is. And, somehow, that's a bit scary.

What if I'm not good enough to do this idea justice? What if I just write an absolutely horrible introduction but the rest of it is wonderful and nobody ever reads it because they can't get past the first few chapters? What if I miss my opportunity to make this book what it really could be?

All of these insecurities are stopping me from starting my project. I mean, honestly, I just finished a few big editing projects and I could probably use a little time off, and one of these days I'll just get so impatient about the fact that I'm not writing that I'll just start writing, but in the meantime, as silly as it is . . . I'm scared.

2 comments:

  1. I find that with every new project of mine, I feel a bit daunted about getting started. It's partly about whether I'll be able to turn my SNI into something good, but also just the idea of pantsing through 80k words and how could I possibly manage to do that. But then I make myself start writing that first scene, and suddenly it's not as bad as I feared.

    So, best way to combat the insecurities, I've found - just start writing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely right. Just making yourself start is definitely the best way to get through this. This time, I'm giving myself a little bit of a vacation b/c I feel like the brain also needs the occasional vacation from writing, but when I've decided my vacation is over (and fortunately I have enough self-motivation to set a fairly hard and fast sort of deadline), I'll just sit down and tell myself, "This is it. It's time to start."

      And, until then, I'll read some of the stuff I've had sitting around forever!

      Delete