Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Reading And Writing, But Not At The Same Time

 Oooooo, and today I'm mysterious.

To Read Or To Write-That Is The Question

One of the things I see a lot is that if you intend to write you MUST read.
I completely agree. (How else would you know if what you write has any appeal? And how else can you learn and grow?) But I have noticed something about myself: the more I write, the less I read.

It's an interesting phenomenon. When I'm really caught up in my writing and writing a decent amount every day, I just don't have the inclination to read. It feels too much like work.

Fortunately, when I just can't stomach the idea of writing or I'm really lacking in inspiration, I love to read. I've re-read lots of books that I really liked just to see how the author wrote them and why I think they were successful. And then I just read the stuff I want to read too. It's fun!

I just think it's funny that when I write I don't read, and when I'm really reading a lot, I don't write.

Does anyone else have this problem? Or maybe it's not a problem. Or maybe I'm crazy (or maybe that's a separate issue).

2 comments:

  1. That's kinda funny that it's one or the other for you. I guess it kinda uses the same part of your brain, so if you've only got a certain amount of energy for that part, then you have to decide whether to invest it in writing or reading.

    I'm kinda the opposite. I can usually do both at the same time, and quite often I find when I'm reading a really excellent book it stimulates me to want to write. I feel the most drive to write when reading a string of strong books. If I'm in a book drought I often have trouble finding the energy to write. I haven't actually read much published work lately, but I've been reading a good (unpubbed, obviously) manuscript from a CP the last couple weeks that's been getting my creative juices going. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose I can be inspired by others' writing, but if it's really, really awesome, I sometimes get depressed that I'll never be that awesome. (Although sometimes I do get good ideas, and others' writing is definitely inspiring, just also depressing.)

    Then there's the Jane Austen phenomenon. After reading Jane Austen, I want to speak and write in old-school Austenese, and I'd probably do it badly and a day after I was done reading, I'd lose my ability to channel Austen, and that's not how I want to write anyway!
    Man, reading's dangerous. But so fun!

    ReplyDelete