Wednesday, January 16, 2013

The Next Big Thing (Week 33)

So, my friend Saybe Scott tagged me for a blog hop of writers talking about their current work in progress. I feel so interactive and internetty.

Saybe rearranged her numbers b/c she thought they made more sense in a different order (and she's probably right), but seeing those numbers in the wrong order just made my skin crawl, so I'm back to the original order (what can I say, I've got problems.)

1- What is the working title of your book?


Unproven

 

2- Where did the idea come from for the book?


So, as cliched as this now is, I'd say it started with a dream. This dream was of a girl using some sort of super-technology to jump out of a tall building to get away from her attackers. Then I started thinking about that, and somehow I wound up with a whole book's worth of plot.

 

3- What genre does your book fall under?


YA Sci-fi

4- Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?


No one in particular came to mind, so I did a quick search through the creative commons, and this image works pretty well for Milla:
Photo by Patrick Doheny

And, just b/c she's really cute, I thought I'd share a photo that could work for Milla's little sister, Abbie:

I had a lot more trouble with Connel. He's supposed to be a red head, but as I was hunting, I got Cory Monteith stuck in my head. (And, hey, at least he's appropriately pasty. As a fellow pasty person, I like a guy who's not afraid of sunscreen.)


5- What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?


In a technology-based future ruled by the Ten Families, Milla Aydin was not supposed to take over her Family for years and years, but when her mother is assassinated, Milla has to prove herself and protect her people.

6- Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?


Well, here's to hoping it'll be an agency. I haven't started querying with this manuscript yet, and I don't already have an agent, so we'll see.

7- How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?


Well, I took a break in the middle, so this is a complete guestimate. I'd say around 6 to 8 months. (And now the revisions begin.)

8- What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?


YA science fiction doesn't seem to be all that popular these days (unless you count the Dystopian trend as sci-fi), especially not in comparison to Urban Fantasy or Paranormal. I am always so bad at this question. It's a bit like The Hunger Games, only less dark.

9- Who or What inspired you to write this book?


I've always loved sci-fi and fantasy, and I don't think there's enough real sci-fi for girls. I love a kick-ass heroine, and I wish people weren't quite so afraid of science (as a school subject especially). So maybe that's why I wrote it.

But the real answer: b/c I just thought it'd be fun.

10- What else about your book might pique the reader's interest?


Well, as the photos gave away, there is a future love interest, although since I intend for this book to be part of a series, he really just annoys the crap out of Milla in this book.

Another interesting factoid: this isn't a Dystopian book b/c the world got back on its feet, but this book definitely takes place in the future after a huge war tore the world apart, and it got put back together in a way that might seem odd to us now. After the war, there were ten leaders who marked out their territory (the origins of the Ten Families). The leaders decided that one of the main causes of the war was over-population, so they decided to separate males and females, so each Family is either entirely male or female (reproduction is done with technology). That's the backdrop for Milla's fight to save her Family.

 

Tagged:


Not sure whether they're going to be interested in participating, but here are my choices:

Amanda Boyle

Kristie Britt

Rules:


Answer these ten questions about your current WIP on your blog.
Tag (up to) five other writers/bloggers with their links so we can hop over and meet them.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like fun, Sarah! I really like the idea of the Ten Families. It sounds a little like a twist on the world of the book Defiance - have you read that? Your story itself doesn't sound at all similar, though.

    ReplyDelete