Wednesday, February 13, 2013

My Paranoia = Imagination




Because my husband works nights about two or three weeks of the month, I end up spending a decent chunk of my nights all alone in our house, and I do not know what it is about nightime, but I've never gotten completely over that "childish" fear of the dark.

Whenever I go by dark windows, I imagine scary people staring in at me, and whenever I am sitting alone in my bed in the dark, every weird noise that I hear sounds like someone trying to break in. Or like the psycho squirrels are plotting against me. (We've got a lot of squirrels in our backyard. I think our squirrels are crazier than your average squirrels. They may or may not be out to get me. I think time will probably prove they're plotting something.)

And so I have learned to deal with my paranoia by using a nightlight and watching nice, fun TV right before bedtime (watching mysteries or crime dramas makes things worse, and I gave up on horror years ago).

So, in order to make myself feel better about all the ridiculousness, I have decided that my freakouts are an aspect of my overactive imagination, which helps me imagine new worlds in my books. And so I like to believe that I've turned something negative (being a wee bit afraid of the dark as an adult) into a positive (being creative).

See? It's all in the spin you put on things.

No comments:

Post a Comment