Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Editing Black Hole

Pic is from two yrs ago in the Badlands.

Because you're writing a blog sitting alone at home, sometimes a blog entry feels quite a bit like a diary entry.

And so, dear diary, I shall confide what I've been thinking about the last few days (sorry, no dramatic revelations to follow; I'm not actually all that exciting).

As I've been holed up in my little cave, editing my heart out, I've realized that I am not a big fan of my current job. No, this isn't a surprise. I am currently a federal worker. That's right, you know that government that shut down for no apparent reason? I work for them.

I was called back to work this past week, despite the fact that we aren't actually positive we'll be paid, and what with the debt ceiling looming, we have the feeling we might be getting another "vacation" soon. Not so surprisingly, morale is low.

So for the past week, I've had my nose to the grindstone, taking every spare minute that I could to edit my book. Because I'm dreaming of a way out of all this tomfoolery (that's right, I used the word "tomfoolery" - that's me being exceptionally polite. If I were Bridget Jones, I believe I would have chosen the word "fuckwittery" or something like that.)

And, so, I shall edit and edit and then query, query, query. And at the end of it, I still won't be able to quit my job, but hopefully I'll have an agent and be just a little bit closer to a new profession.

Blech.

And that is all I have to say about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment