Wednesday, October 30, 2013

NaNoWriMo

Rowar!
(Photo credit to Fergus Ray Murray)

For those of you on the writing scene, I’m sure you’ve heard of NaNoWriMo. For those of you who aren’t a part of the writing scene, NaNoWriMo is National Novel Writing Month. There’s a website and everything. You sign up and then strive valiantly to write an entire novel in a month. In order to “win” NaNo, you’ve got to write 50,000 words by the end of the month. That averages out 1,667 words per day in case you were curious.

Well, I’ve signed up for it this year. I’ve never tried to do NaNo before. To be quite honest, I’m not sure I’m capable of writing 50,000 words in 30 days. I’ve got things to do, you know? But I thought it might be fun to try, and I’ve had an idea that I’ve been working on outlining for a little while, so I’ve got things set up pretty well.

I considered just trying to do it without signing up or anything, just because I’m mostly curious if I can do it or not. But I know that signing up will help keep me honest, and I also know that having this goal that other people can see will truly help motivate me to keep going. And maybe I’ll actually participate in the forums to see everybody encouraging everybody else. I hear it’s a great environment.

I never considered NaNo before because I never had a project ready to go right around this time, and I’d always felt that rushing to try to achieve the NaNo goal might result in worse writing. But that was before I started outlining beforehand. And your first draft is never supposed to be perfect anyway. So I am wading into the murky waters of NaNo, and we shall see whether I come out shiny and victorious on the other side. Here I am: (NaNo link)

No comments:

Post a Comment