Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Writing Update 11-6-13: Query Impatience and NaNo

Cool Dragon Doorknob by MacMANU

It's been a week and three days since I sent out my first round of query letters, not that I'm counting or anything (I am). I haven't heard anything back yet, but the reasonable part of my brain knows that it would be highly unusual to have heard back by now. The unreasonable part, of course, wants to know what exactly's wrong with my book and why no one loves the poor, misbegotten thing.

Fortunately, NaNoWriMo has been distracting me very successfully. (Hmm, I wonder if I can count this post towards my total word count. Nah, I'll try to tough it out with my actual manuscript).

As of the end of Tuesday (day 5 of NaNo), I had written just over 12,000 words. That actually puts me about two days ahead of schedule, which is good. I play to win! And writing 50,000 words in 30 days is rough stuff.

I wish I'd managed to build a little bit more of a word count buffer for myself over the weekend. Getting in 1,667 words per day can be tough. Some times I just sit there and stare at the screen, wondering how to write what I think I want to write. Fortunately outlining has kept me going, always giving me something to write about even if I'm not quite sure it's right.

I feel like I'll definitely have a few more thoughts on NaNo that I'll want to share later. It's early days yet.

And hopefully I'll have (good) querying updates to share later as well. We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment