Wednesday, December 18, 2013

A Contemporary Novel Nagging At My Brain


I've gone back to adding ridiculous photos of me to the top of my posts.
For now.

For the past few years, I've stuck to the realm of fantasy and sci fi. I love imagining different worlds and cool new inventions, and when you've got villainous leaders, it's always easy to pick a fight and have your hero be the good guy.

But a few nights ago I was trying to go to sleep, and I just had to write the first page to a contemporary YA novel. The first scene is semi-autobiographical: the adoption of my childhood cat. Vincent Van Cat, in case you were curious. He was named after the artist because A) my mom likes art and B) he'd gotten into a fight and lost a little chunk out of his ear. Oh, and C) he's a cat.

And now that I've got a first page that I really quite like, all of these ideas that I'm having just won't leave me alone.

I now know that my main character is a bit depressed. He didn't get into the school he really wanted to go to, and he doesn't have a back up plan. He's questioning his future because of that. I know where he works (his dad got him a job because he wanted his son to get up off his butt and do something productive.) I know that he loves his cat very much, and his cat is very old (uh oh).

I've got a whole list of ideas about this book. Honestly, I'm pretty excited about it. But I don't read too many contemporary YA novels. I don't know that I can write a contemporary YA.

So now I've got to go and do lots of reading and even more plotting because I think this book is just begging to be written, and I only hope that I can do it justice because, in my head, it is an amazing book.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment