Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Philadelphia, Flowers, and van Gogh

Phlower Show (See what I did there?)

I went to Philly this weekend for the Philadelphia Flower Show, and because I had all day and can only look at pretty flowery displays for so long, I also trekked it over to the Philadelphia Art Museum. Here are the pix.

Here's what you saw when you walked into the flower show with a cool close up below:



Then came the Suessian trees:


There were lots of pretty and creative displays. This one involved a Korean Moon Vase made of leaves surrounded by beautiful pink orchids:

This one was interesting and had lots of different parts. I liked the Moss Man best. He was picnicking with his grassy girlfriend. Plus, they let people throw paper airplanes into the display, which always makes for a good time.

Writing Research

I was in Philadelphia and it just so happens that the Philadelphia Art Museum features in the Contemporary YA I'm writing. As it's currently plotted, the climax involves an attempted museum caper.

I took tons of pictures of the entryway and not one single guard asked me what on earth I thought I was doing. Conclusion: the security staff there is pretty lax, which is great for my book!

Museum Adventures

The walk from the Flower Show to the art museum goes directly past a small museum dedicated to the sculptor Rodin. He's most famous for The Thinker:


I took a little side trip to walk up and around his cool sculptures. I read his Wikipedia article when I got home, and it said he was one of the fathers of modern sculpture b/c he used realism in his sculptures (instead of just sculpting those idealistic, namby pamby Greek gods).

Then I wandered about the Philadelphia Art Museum for a few hours and had lots of fun. This painting was one of my favorites:

The Burning of the Houses of Parliament by William Turner

And here's me with van Gogh's Sunflowers:

I even got to see an old friend who lives in the Philly area, so overall, the trip was lots of fun. I was particularly proud of the fact that I got to do some honest to goodness Writerly Research.

No comments:

Post a Comment