Wednesday, June 18, 2014

The Multi-POV Challenge

Took a million of these weird photos back when I started my blog.
By this point, it's too late to figure out something better, so you're stuck with them.
Plus, I'm lazy.
And apparently weird.

I've started plotting my "new" book. Okay, so it's actually my old book from back in November (NaNoWriMo), but since I pretty much scrapped the stuff I'd written in November, I'm going to go ahead and call this a new book.

I've even got a title for it: Steel Heart (subject to change, as the commercials say).

It's about two 16 year olds in a futuristic city where the military rules. One is from the poor section and the other is from the military elite. My favorite part is the world around the city. In the forests surrounding the city I've created a sort of sci fi Narnia with robotic talking animals and humans who mutated themselves to use chlorophyll to supplement their food energy intake (aka Dryads).

This story is told from two different point of views (POVs), and plotting it out was making my head spin. I could not wrap my brain around all the moving parts and get it all to mesh together.

So after I'd written page after page of useless notes trying to get my plot to work, I was struck by inspiration: plot what happens in the lives of the three main antagonists first. Then work out the two protagonists' stories.

The antagonists, not being the focus of the story, have much shorter arcs, but they're the ones who dictate much of the beginning action, so what they're doing is really important.

Once I had the antagonists' stories written down, it was much easier to weave their attacks and plots into the beginning stories of my two protagonists and work out the heros' reactions and how they'd try to overcome all the obstacles the antagonists threw at them.

And then once I had each individual story written out, I wove them all together into a master plot outline that's six pages long (single spaced), and I'm really quite proud of it.

Now we'll just have to see how well I actually follow it.

No comments:

Post a Comment