Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Painting Dead Leaves

Did you know it's actually rather hard to find a cool picture of a skeletal oak leaf? Specifically one that's decayed away into a skeletal version of itself but still shows the overall shape of the leaf.

Because that's what I intended to paint, but then I couldn't find any really good pictures (I really would have liked one still attached to a branch), so I went with a more autumnal leaf instead: 


I was painting this last night when I should have been writing my post for this morning. Consequently you did not get a post this morning.

(Side note: "consequently" is a rather awesome word, isn't it?)

The purpose of this particular painting is to have a nice, personalized wedding gift for a doctor who can afford to buy anything she really wants. I've been consulting with my husband, and I don't think this painting is really quite to "Wedding Gift" status yet. As my husband says, "Too much white space." I concur.

So now I've got to figure out how to add a lovely background without mucking up the foreground. And, because this is a writing blog, let's pretend like I've actually been talking about writing the whole time:
You can come up with a very pretty picture, but sometimes you need to put in that extra time and effort and comb over your work to improve it in just the right places.

Unfortunately, with a painting, if you screw it up, you can't just press "undo" and start over. Well, you can start over, but it's a rather annoying form of starting over that involves sitting down in front of a blank piece of paper.

Thus concludes my Philosophical Musings On A Dead Leaf. Tune in next week for more random jibber jabber.

3 comments:

  1. #1. I would have probably just told Nigel, "Thanks! So glad you noticed the white space. That's what I was going for."

    #2. I totally thought the piles of leaves and trees in the background were piles of streaming dog poop. Probably not what you want to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can rest assured that I do not have a good editorial eye as a non-painter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha. Ah well. I'll assume that up close it looks much less like dog poop.

    In my edited version, I added two cats - so its much more likely to have been cat poop.

    ReplyDelete