Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Fun Writing Links And Stories About Rejection

I've been writing away, implementing some of the advice that Holly Black gave me in editing my last book, and trying to finish off my first draft for another book (because I know that if I don't finish it, I'll just have those last few chapters hanging out there, taunting me).

So I figured it was a good week for some links I enjoyed about writing.

Photo credit to Hartwig HKD.

Here's an article on writing quotes from authors George R.R. Martin and Robin Hobbs. There's a lot of fun stuff in there, but my absolute favorite quote (because it made me laugh) was about creating fantasy names. George R.R. Martin says that those fantasy name generators really did not help him. They promise fifty fantastic and fresh fantasy names, and every single name they spit out was "Grisknuckle." I probably should have let you read it for yourself, but that's freaking hilarious. And oh so true.

Photo credit to Nicolas Raymond.

Martin mentions Robert A. Heinlein's rules for writing. Heinlein was a much-admired and influential sci-fi author who won the Hugo Award four times! Here is a link to just his rules. Here is a link to author Robert J. Sawyer's take on the rules, plus his additional sixth rule (which I liked). Heinlein's fifth rule is one that I don't completely agree with (the rule: keep your work on the market until it's sold) because sometimes you need to give up on a book or short story or whatever because sometimes it's just not as good as what you'll write after you've gotten a little more experience. On the other hand, some people don't realize just how long it can take and just how many rejection letters you sometimes get before your work gets published. J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series was pretty famously rejected quite a few times before Bloomsbury Publishing took it on.

Speaking of which, then there's this Cracked article about famous books that got rejected. Just for fun.

Photo credit to Steven Bratman.
In case you're wondering what this photo has to do with anything, this is Colorado.
Two guys made a little town in the Colorado mountains famous.

And because, somehow, rejection has become the theme of this tale, it should be noted that Tray Parker and Matt Stone had a very up and down sort of start. Sure, once they got South Park it was all million dollar contracts and adoration, but they had some success, moved to L.A. and then spent the next two years living in poverty until  . . . they made a Christmas video (in which Santa and Jesus fought it out) which led to South Park. Anyway, the point was, they actually give some cool writing advice in this video.


No comments:

Post a Comment