Wednesday, September 10, 2014

My New First Draft: Narnia Meets Game of Thrones

This weekend I finished a 71k first draft. I'm certain it still needs a ton of work (as all first drafts seem to), but still, it's something of an accomplishment to plot everything out and get it all down into that first draft.

Photo credit to slynkycat.

I went for drama with the description in my blog post title. I don't know that my YA sci fi can really compare to Narnia or Game of Thrones, but I've got talking (robotic) animals, human-animal (mutant) hybrids and a few other elements based on a somewhat distorted sci fi version of the Narnia world. One of my villains is even loosely based off of the white witch.

Photo credit to Ronel Reyes.

And then, when I was writing the ending, I ended up killing off a few more characters than I'd expected (three total, which is quite a lot for me; I was only planning on killing off one). I've got two point of view (POV) characters, and they've each got their circle of acquaintances, friends, and enemies, and there's definitely some conniving going on. All of that plus the bloodshed led to the Game of Thrones comparison (in my head anyway).
 
So. Now I've got a first draft. I'm going to let it sit and forget about it so I can come back later to revise with fresh eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment