Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Starting All Over Again (Ugh)


Last week I mentioned my completed first draft but I didn't mention the MG fantasy I'd been querying and revising for the past year. That's because I'm going back to the drawing board.

Okay, so it's not quite as desperate as that. The plot is staying mostly in tact, but I am basically re-writing it only using bits and pieces of my much revised, much sweated over current draft.

I mentioned some very helpful advice I got, and that advice extended beyond how to write better description and to add in a "want line". The feedback I got made me feel like it'd be a good idea to start all over with the writing process, eliminating a large number of the first chapters, combining one or two more characters, and generally overhauling everything.



It's discouraging to know I've got that much work ahead of me (again!) but I think it'll make for a much better book, so I'm going to plow ahead with the changes. I've been devoting a lot more of my time to writing lately because I really want to make this happen and I'm sick of waiting, and the only way I have to speed the process up is to devote more time to writing (or, in this case, re-writing). Here's hoping it pays off.

No comments:

Post a Comment