Wednesday, November 5, 2014

My NaNoWriMo Semi-participation

What About Italy?

I've still got quite a few things to say about Italy, but as my husband pointed out, I don't want to overload you on Italy when this is actually a writing blog.

So I'm throwing in a writing post along with a cool picture of Italy. And maybe I'll throw in a pic of me and Nigel in Italy at the end. Just for funsies.

This is Sienna's Il Duomo at nighttime.
It was quite beautiful.

Last Year's NaNoWriMo

If you are my one dedicated blog follower (Hi, Camilla!), you might remember that last year I decided to participate in National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo, aka NaNo). Here was one of my posts about it.

If you're reading this and you don't happen to be Camilla: I participated in NaNo last year! It was fun. Really challenging, but it was pretty cool to realize that I could actually write 50,000 words in one month.

My NaNo Goal: Add More Dragons

This November, however, I am still in the process of re-writing my MG Fantasy, Dragon Bait. I'm working to amp up the action; eliminate any boring bits; and add in some additional description, world building, and character motivations. Rather than a normal edit, I've just decided to completely re-write the book because I really want this to be the best book it can be.

I've written about 34k, and I'm hoping that I'll be done around 65k. I've got it all outlined, and I'm hoping to actually be able to use some of the chapters I wrote in my last draft toward the end of the book since. The end was always fairly action packed.

Actually, in re-writing one of the main things I ended up doing was adding in a bunch of scenes with dragons, but since dragons are pretty darn cool I'm good with that. Nearly getting eaten by a dragon adds a certain amount of tension to my main character's life.

My personal NaNo writing goal is about 30k words - or whatever word count it takes to finish up this re-write. I'm actually editing as I write, so this is still pretty darn ambitious. I'm partially hoping that telling you, dear blog readers, about this goal will help keep me motivated and writing.

Wish me luck!

This is me up above The Forum in Rome.
I didn't lie. This is me & Nigel.
That tiny person wearing orange in the background is Nigel.
And aren't the Italian trees cool?



No comments:

Post a Comment