Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Painting a Queen

As I'd mentioned, this month is National Novel Writing Month. I set a goal of 30,000 words b/c (I'm hoping) that's all it should take to finish re-writing my MG Fantasy, Dragon Bait.

Having a deadline always seems to bring out the worst in us, doesn't it? Instead of writing (okay, so I did a little bit of writing, but not as much as I should have) I spent my weekend creating a painting of Queen Levana from the Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer for this contest.


The Lunar Chronicles are a very cool YA, futuristic, sci-fi version of the Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood, and Rapunzel stories (so far - there's Snow White and her step-mother Queen's story yet to come). It starts off with Cinder (I think you can guess which one that's supposed to be) as a cyborg in New Beijing where cyborgs are viewed as less than human. There's a plague and an evil queen (from the Moon!), and it's a pretty cool story.

Spaceship by Lucas.

Queen Levana is a Lunar who has a powerful, magic-like control over others. It's a moon person thing. She makes everyone see this very beautiful exterior, but we find out that this is just part of her glamour, not her true appearance at all.

Photo of Blood Moon by Brian Hammond.

The contest was about creating a portrait of the Queen, so I painted a cruelly beautiful queen out front in vivid color and the shadow of her true self, hidden behind.

**I cut out the image of my artwork b/c the contest rules say the image can't be publicly displayed anywhere. I'll post it back once I've lost the contest.

I chose to make the true appearance of the Queen as a somewhat plain woman. She's not truly ugly or disfigured, just not as beautiful as she wants people to think her. In my head, she was never as beautiful as her sister (who she may have killed) and her lack of beauty ate away at her, turning her into the tyrant she is today.

Or something.

But, wait, there's more: she's got a super cool spaceship army that is descending from the blood red moon. That's somewhat based on the books, although, of course, I added my own flair. I'm oddly proud of the spaceships. I think they're cool.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with NaNoWriMo! I understand using art to procrastinate. At least you're being productive, though!

    ReplyDelete