Wednesday, December 10, 2014

When I'm Not Writing

laundry in Venice
Laundry Day in Venice
I thought this photo from O Palsson was cool and sort of appropriate.

This weekend, I did the following: three loads of laundry, raked leaves, spent half a day sorting old files (something I’ve been meaning to do for over a year), and finally ordered actual, physical photos from my Italy trip.

I also watched a ton of TV, but that is neither productive nor something that I can't do on a regular basis (I like to watch TV while I put away laundry and cook and when I'm taking a break from writing).

Since I finished my re-write of my MG Fantasy, Dragon Bait (yea!!) I was taking a break from writing to (hopefully) clear my head, rest my brain, and give myself enough distance to get into critical, editing mode. As it turns out, writing takes up a lot of my time.  Or, if I'm being honest, writing and telling myself I ought to write take a lot of time.

birch fall forest
Photo by Barbara

Of course, if you noticed, I was still raking my leaves in December, which does tell you what sort of things I put off in order to write. (To be fair my husband had raked at the beginning of November. We just have a ton of trees, and they dropped more leaves after that.)

this way to Hogwarts Castle
Hogwarts photo from Scott Smith

This weekend I also did a little pre-editing prep. I re-read Rue's last scene in The Hunger Games in order to read exactly how Suzanne Collins approached it. I outlined my book. I watched Goonies (It'd been ages since I'd seen it, and I was told it had great characterizations of middle school aged kids. It did. And it was awesome.) And I started re-reading Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. I am in love with Rowling's descriptions, and that is one of my biggest weaknesses. I'm hoping some of her magic wears off on me (and I'll actually look at how she writes her descriptions too).

So that was my weekend.

I'm way too antsy to keep away from my book much longer, no matter how much head clearing I ought to do. So next weekend I'll be back at it - AND finally watching Mockingjay: Part I (not related, but fun).

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment