Wednesday, January 28, 2015

My Favorite Books: The Honorable Mentions

These books weren't originally on my list of all time fav's but as I scanned my shelves, they called out to me (saying, "Sarah, did you forget about me? Don't you love me any more?"). I have very needy books.

As I'd mentioned in my last post, these are pretty much all picture books (except one). I just . . . I couldn't leave them out.

This is me "reading" Sabriel - the number one book from my last post about my 5 Fav Books.
This is actually me pretending to read while I take a selfie.


In no particular order, here are my Honorable Mentions:

  • Dealing With Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede This is the story of a princess (Cimorene of Lindwall) who does not want to marry a handsome, brainless prince. She'd much rather live with dragons and learn to cook chocolate mousse. I think I got this book through the Scholastic Book Club. You know, those odd circulars that let Scholastic sell awesome books through our public school system? Maybe they don't do that any more. I'm not sure. But when Mom finally let me pick out a book, it sure was exciting.



  • The Very Little Girl by Phyllis Krasilovsky This was the first book I remember loving. I'm not actually certain why I loved this book above all other books when I was very small. Perhaps because I was a very little girl. Kids love books where they see themselves in the pages. And I loved watching the little girl grow. Oh, and Pat the Bunny. I loved that one too. It's my tactile nature. But it doesn't stand up to the test of time quite as well as the Little Girl. I shall include a picture from inside the book below, so you can see just how beautiful the Little Girl illustrations are.

Here I am, looking suspiciously over the top of my awesome book.

I love the minimalist colors and drawings in this book.
It's so pretty. And you can see it was well-loved too.

  • Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett Johnson This story is about a boy who can just draw himself whatever he wants. That would be so cool! Below you can see Harold drawing himself a boat and then climbing right in. He also draws himself some pies to eat. I loved this book so much when I was little.



  • Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak This one's a no brainer. In my twenties, I had to ask for this book for a few different holidays before I was finally given it. Now it is mine, all mine.



  • Bread and Jam for Frances by Russell Hoban, pictures by Lillian Hoban Really, any of the Frances books would do. Frances and I have a lot in common. Namely, we like to make up ridiculous little songs about our day-to-day lives. I believe that in the below book, Frances ponders why anyone would want to eat anything other than bread and jam in her very own catchy little song. And then, later, she sings a sad little song about how she's rather sick of bread and jam. It tugs at the heart-strings.


No comments:

Post a Comment