Wednesday, January 21, 2015

My Five Favorite Books (Plus a few more)

I had no idea what to write this week, and my self-imposed Wednesday morning deadline was closing in fast, so I was inspired to raid my shelves for a Top Five list.

my books
This is my stack of books, pre-photo shoot.

Here I am, looking like a crazed idiot with my books:
me and my favorite books

Fair or not, I did notice that I read every single one of these books before I was out of high school (and some pre-elementary school). Sorry, new and wonderful books, apparently I'm a sucker for nostalgia. And kids' books. I don't read my picture books very much, but I've still got a shelf full, and I will NEVER give them up! (No matter how overstuffed our shelves get or how seldom I read them. I will defend them to the death!)

I'd just like to note that I really didn't intend for this blog post to turn into a photo shoot with my books, but somehow that's exactly what happened. (Which also turned a "quick" post into one that took a little longer than anticipated.) So. Here they are:

My Five Favorite Books

1. Sabriel by Garth Nix I've already mentioned this book a few different times. So I won't belabor the point. This book is awesome. The end.
Sabriel by Garth Nix

2. Eloise by Kay Thompson, Pictures by Hilary Knight (And, honestly, without the pictures, you just would not have the funny, spunky, and maybe just a little bit bratty Eloise that I know and love.)
Eloise books, Kay Thompson, Hilary Knight

3. The Horse And His Boy by C.S. Lewis Perhaps it's not the most famous of the Narnia series, but I do believe it's the only one that takes place entirely in Narnia's world. I loved the back and forth between the two main characters (Shasta and Aravis) and the Talking Horses (Mostly Bree, although whatshername was nice too - she was The Voice of Reason. No wonder I don't remember her name). For a quite a few years running, I read this book once a year.
The Horse and His Boy, C.S. Lewis

4. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen Oops. Looks like I don't have this one on my shelves. I've got Emma and a well-loved Sense and Sensibility but no P&P. To be fair, I believe the last time I read it, I downloaded it from Project Gutenberg. (A great big shout-out to the wonderful people at Project Gutenburg. Thank you!)

5. One Morning in Maine and Blueberries for Sal by Robert McCloskey I loved the life out of these books. The top one is an old library reject (like quite a few other books of mine) because my dad was a librarian, and I wasn't about to turn my nose up at a book just because it wasn't fit for library circulation any more. I love these illustrations. They're gorgeous. And it probably helped that Sal looked a little bit like me at that age, so I saw myself in the book's pages.
One Morning in Maine, Robert McCloskey

Robert McCloskey, Sal

I fully intended to include a small section on my "Honorable Mentions" - the other books that I picked up as I was searching for my original Fav Five. But that's going to have to wait until next week. Sorry, people, but it's my bedtime. You can guess what I'll be reading tonight.

3 comments:

  1. Love this post. I've seen similar FB post in the past year where people list their favorite books. Made me think about some of my faves, and two popped into my head right away. East of Eden by John Steinbeck and Lois Lowry's The Giver (really any of the books in that series). I'm excited to see how The Giver the movie will turn out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Milla!
      I had kinda thought the Giver movie was already out. I've been hearing about it for so long! I think I read an article about all of the times they'd intended to make a The Giver movie before and it didn't pan out. I hope this one turns out well.
      And I feel like you've mentioned The Picture of Dorian Gray quite a few times as a possibility to add to your favorites list. I always think of you with P&P too, but I don't know about fav's. When you've hammered out a list lemme know..

      Delete