Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Painting My Own Magic Card

In this post, I mentioned that my husband had me playing Magic: The Gathering (the dorkiest card game known to man).

Well, apparently, re-painting the cards to make them look cool is a thing. (These cards are known as "Alters" because you have altered the card from its original state - this game has all kinds of its own lingo).

I wanted to show off my repainted Abzan Guide:

Magic Abzan Guide on lion

Note that the guide lady is now riding a lion. That is way cooler than the original creature she was riding that didn't have a head:

Magic Abzan Guide

I noted the lack of head and decided we needed to resolve this issue. Animals without heads are really quite sad.

And if I want to stretch the writing theme of this blog, I will say that Magic: The Gathering has a ton of really complex story lines. After the first few sets apparently they ("they" being the company Wizards of the Coast) started putting out books that correspond to the stories. These people do some serious world building.

Also, my lion reminds me of Aslan, and it doesn't get much cooler than that.

My husband painted an Abzan Guide too, which I figured I'd share. I sketched out the lion for him, but he painted it. I actually kind of like his colors better than mine. They're more vibrant:

Magic Abzan Guide Alter

His lion reminds me of the Cowardly Lion (perhaps he's a bit of an Eeyore too). Definitely got that sad old man look.

No comments:

Post a Comment