Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Querying Quesadilla

I recently featured my fav flower photos & was sad my crocuses didn't make the cut.
And all this stinking snow has make me look forward to spring.
This is an action shot! It's got a bee.

Quesadillas, or Lack Thereof

Sorry. This title is misleading. There will be no quesadillas in this post. And no cheese of any type. Which is really a pity because cheese makes most anything better - unless you're lactose intolerant, in which case I feel sad for you because cheese and milk chocolate make up some of my favorite foods. I like dark chocolate too, but, as I recently found (when looking for a friend), getting lactose-free dark chocolate chips can be quite difficult. I think I had success with Wegman's brand chocolate chips, in case you are curious.

Now that the epicure portion of the post is out of the way, on to queries.

Mine is not working.

 
A rather battered crocus with a focus on the snowdrops in the background. And vice versa.

Querying Questions

I think that Naomi helped me with some great query-writing advice, which I distilled into the following bullet points. I tried to keep it in mind when revamping my query:

  • Make the Main Character likable: What makes the Main Character unique?
  • Focus on tension: What makes you want to keep reading?
  • Make the World interesting: What makes the World unique? (Rather similar to the first point, but not something to overlook in a fantasy.)
  • Use Voice! Bad: Does this query sound dry and uninviting? Good: How can I bring my main character's Voice into the query?
  • Cut generic phrases. This works better as an example than a question. Look for phrases that could be using in almost any query, such as "Eric knew he needed to take action!" or "Eric had had enough!" And either cut or rewrite them.

Here my backyard almost looks like a professional shoot.

Thoughts


Basically, I rewrote my query trying to make Eric feel more like Eric (he's my main character, in case you were curious). I tried to build a little more sympathy for him. I cut out some plot in favor of more world-relevant specifics.

And one of my critique partners said that the old query described the book but was a bit boring, and my new query made her want to read the book. Which is the whole point. So, good luck to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment