Wednesday, February 24, 2016

The Plant That Wouldn't Die

Christmas Cactus close up
Ain't she pretty, folks?

Hopefully it hasn't been showing, but I've been struggling to figure out what to write for these blog posts lately. I think I'm just in a bit of a lull, but I keep pushing through. I've been writing this blog for almost four years now (which seems like a crazy amount of time to me. The internet is a fleeting thing, after all.), and I refuse to quit now!

I try to stick to stuff that entertains me - whether it's writing-related or not. This week, hopefully my weird enthusiasm for my Christmas Cactus makes for a fun read.

Here's the deal: I kill plants.
I don't mean to.
I've nothing against plants.
I'm even mildly fond of them.
I just tend to get wrapped up in other things, forget about the plants that my mom's foisted off on me, and, well . . . let's just say the results aren't pretty - especially if you are the plant in question.

Christmas Cactus bloom
In the background is my husband's Lego Millenium Falcon.
 See how happy and healthy my beautiful plant is?

I even killed an aloe plant Mom gave me. That was sad. You'd think I could remember to water a cactus in time to keep it alive. But . . . not so much.

My Christmas Cactus nearly suffered the same fate. At one point in time, I thought I'd killed her. I felt terrible and redoubled my effort to water her regularly, so when she started putting out blooms, I knew she'd finally forgiven me (and she was healthy again!). So I took a million photos to commemorate the event!

shriveled bit on Christmas Cactus


The bit above never quite recovered from my neglect. It's very weird - the base of that bit is still a little green and a little bit alive, but the end bits are truly dead.

I took a million photos, but I'm only going to subject you to one more. This photo was taken a little later, after the blooms started to die, but I like it. I think she's looking out at her view and realizing she has something to live for after all.

plant, window

You go, little planty! Keep on keeping on!

No comments:

Post a Comment