Wednesday, March 9, 2016

The Soul-crushing-ness of Rejection

gray day
Photo by Raffaele Sergi

Perhaps you've noticed my blog posts haven't been very writing-oriented lately. That's in large part because I've been focusing on querying. Querying (aka, selling your book in 250 words or less) is an essential part of getting published the traditional way, but it's not particularly fun, it barely feels like writing, and, if you do your research, it's pretty time intensive.

And then there's the rejections.

Now, I understand it is not agents' fault that they have to sift through hundreds of email query letters a day and send out rejections (or a no response means no). That's how this whole process works.

But it does hurt.

query storm
Photo by mrpbps

I've worked on my book for at least a year, probably more. I've been working on my query letter for a few months, on and off. And yet, no matter how long and hard I work, all I get is rejections.

Like I said, I'm not blaming the agents. Maybe my book isn't to their taste. Maybe (despite all the time I spent on it) my query letter just doesn't do my book justice. Maybe they were having a bad day and so sick of demons in MG books, they just pressed delete.

Whatever happened, it wasn't personal. On some level, I know that.

But it feels personal. It feels like I'm being told that I'm not good enough. That no matter how hard I try I can't do anything right. That I suck as a writer.

So I've been a bit down and trying not to let it bog down my blog. But, for one week only, I'm going to  straight up admit it: rejections suck and they make me want to cry.

Alright, now it's time to go re-revise my query letter and try to believe that this time it'll work.

2 comments:

  1. The querying process seems grueling...it's hard to face rejection after working so hard on something that's so important. But keep at it, Sarah. There are a lot of agents out there and I'm sure you'll eventually find the right one for your project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The querying process seems grueling...it's hard to face rejection after working so hard on something that's so important. But keep at it, Sarah. There are a lot of agents out there and I'm sure you'll eventually find the right one for your project.

    ReplyDelete