Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Thank you, Hillary. Sincerely.

Why:

I typically try to avoid waxing political on my social media. But this election has affected me more than I thought it would.

I thought Stephen Colbert's very a-political send-off on election night was quite beautiful and encouraging, and I realized there's not been enough positive in this election cycle, so I wanted to add something positive too.

I'd like to note I did not vote for Hillary because she was a woman. If that was my motivation, I wouldn't have voted for a man in the primaries. I voted for her because, of the two candidates, she better represented the direction I wish my country to take. But, as a woman, I appreciate what Hillary has been to us. And I think history will too.

So, today, I am going to thank Hillary Clinton.

Photo by Alan C.

With all my Heart:

Hillary, thank you for helping to pave the way for women in American politics.

Thank you for being our first major party contender for President.

Thank you for never giving up, no matter how much vitriol was thrown at you, no matter how many people commented on your looks, your clothes, your hair. No matter how much some people doubted a woman could do the job.

Thank you for being steadfast, for being you in the face of all that doubt.

Thank you for being gracious and smart and stubborn as hell.

Thank you for the work you've done for America's kids.

Thank you for pushing past all of the critics who thought you should be a dutiful wife and nothing more.

Thank you for sharing your story, for living your life. For showing us what it was like to be a female law student in the '70s.

Thank you for giving little girls a woman who they could point to and say, "I want to be like her," even if that statement does end with, "But I want to win." Because, Hillary, you have helped make that possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment